Queensland Stoma Association Inc (the Organisation) is a not-for-profit association dedicated to the support of members who have had surgery resulting in a Colostomy, Ileostomy, Ileal Conduit, Urostomy or other external pouch procedure.
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
Personal Information is information that identifies an individual.
We collect your Personal Information for the primary purposes of providing our services to you and for providing information to you. We may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure.
You may unsubscribe from our mailing lists at any time by contacting the Organisation.
What is Sensitive Information?
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act as information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information. Examples of sensitive information that may be collected by the Organisation include information related to a client’s stoma including type of stoma and a record of products used.
Sensitive information will be collected and used by us only:
• for the primary purpose for which it was obtained;
• for a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose;
• with your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties such as a family member or medical professional. In such a case we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by such third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
It is the policy of the Organisation not to disclose your Personal Information except where:
- you would reasonably expect the Organisation to disclose the information for a secondary purpose and the secondary purpose is closely related to the primary purpose;
- a permitted health situation exists in relation to the use or disclosure of the information by the Organisation to your Stomal Therapy Nurse or Medical Professional;
- we are required to disclose your information for purposes related directly to your eligibility to receive stoma products funded by the Stoma Appliance Scheme. For example, we may be required at times to disclose your Personal Information to the Commonwealth Department of Health, the Commonwealth Department of Human Services and the Australian Council of Stoma Associations Inc;
- you consent to the use or disclosure of your Personal Information to a third party; or
- it is required or authorised by law.
The Organisation is unlikely to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or unauthorised disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take all reasonable steps to destroy it or to permanently de-identify it. However, some Personal Information is required to be kept by law and will be stored in our files and kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to your Personal Information
You have a right to access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. If you wish to access your Personal Information, please make your request to us in writing.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing such information.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is an important part of providing our services to you that your Personal Information is up to date and we will take all reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate and complete.
To assist with this process, it is important that you advise us at the earliest opportunity of any changes to your Personal Information so that our records can be updated.
Queensland Stoma Association Inc
PO Box 370
CHERMSIDE SOUTH QLD 4032